Ashlea Veterinary Centre Ltd, Unit 2b Port Road Business Park, Carlisle CA2 7AF Reg no: 4759132
Adult fleas on your pet represent only 5% of the flea population in your house – that means that the other 95% are hiding in your rooms!
The commonest flea affecting both cats and dogs in the UK is the cat flea.
Fleas are carriers of tapeworms so your pets easily become infected by swallowing a flea when grooming themselves.
and the Fiction...
Pets catch fleas from the grass -False -fleas are only caught from another animal or from a contaminated environment.
Fleas are only a problem in summer -False -fleas are around all year, they just breed much faster in the summer.
Fleas don’t bother the pet -False - some animals get severe skin problems due to allergic reactions to fleas.
Pet Shop Spot-on products work as well as the vets’ -False - older products often contain Permethrin which is no longer efficient against the fleas and is toxic to cats. You could spend a lot of money and still have problems! Fipronil is now widely available but there are concerns that resistance to the molecule is growing.
Insecticides alone will control a flea infestation -False - unless insecticides kill each and every flea before it can lay eggs, eggs will continue to spill into the environment thereby maintaining an infestation. No Spot-On insecticide, even the best, can kill each and every flea within 24 hours for a full month.